Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone have diabetes or hypoglycemia?

Question Does anyone have diabetes or hypoglycemia?

Both my sister and I have been given crappy news this week.

On Friday my sister's blood sugar fell into the low 20's. The nurses where she works were able to give her oral glucose and called 911 right away. She pulled through ok. Her blood sugar was 144 this evening when I took it. We don't know if she has diabetes yet. Her fasting glucose test came back abnormal and she has to see an endocrinologist to be diagnosed.

I've been hypoglycemic for years. I always thought it was a mild case, but my new doctor is having me monitor my blood sugar just to keep an eye on it. It's been in the 41-98 range over the past couple of days. I have bloodwork for 7 different tests ordered for next week. *groans*

A few questions:

I bought a One Touch Ultra glucometer....there were so many to choose from. Did I do good? LOL

Is it best to test on my fingers? They are starting to get sore. Is testing on the arm less accurate?

What is the cheapest place to buy the testing strips/lancets? My insurance covers most of my supplies, but my sister's coverage isn't as good.

Is there any info, or websites that you think I should know about?

I'm just trying to soak as much as I can in. It's strange being fairly healthy one day, to poking yourself with needles the next. I still plan on asking my doctor a lot of questions when I see him again in 3 weeks, but my impatient brain wants answers now :D

TIA!!!!
    Heather

I like the One Touch Ultra over all others. Testing on my arms hurt less. I order strips from west coast medical supplies online because they are by far the cheapest that I have found.
    Hope this helps.
    Toni

About a mile down on the dark side of Route 88

Re: Does anyone have diabetes or hypoglycemia?

Originally posted by echo78

Is it best to test on my fingers? They are starting to get sore. Is testing on the arm less accurate?
    Are you using a fresh lancet everytime you prick your fingers? I don't change mine nearly as often as I should, but I do notice that new/fresh lancets tend to be less painful and leave less scarring.

Not sure about the One Touch, my insurance company sent me a free Precision Xtra meter so I use that.

If you're looking for a B&M with decent supply prices, check WalMart. I'm VERY lucky that my insurance covers all my carp so I'm not familiar with the tons of non-B&M places out there.

If your sister's blood sugar level dropped to the 20s and she's NOT already on any diabetic meds, she's not diabetic. If her blood sugar level was 400+ then that would be a suspicion.

The best Diabetes website: www.diabetes.org

If I remember correctly Lissa's dealing with hypoglycemia... she may have some helpful info on that if she wanders by...

The Little No-Pancreas Bear
    30+ years with diabetes and counting....

I have been a diabetic since I was 19 (am 54 now - shhhhh) and I like the One Touch as well as the Precision I have one at work and one at home. Perhaps the One Touch an eensy bit better.

It is so important to test test test!!!! Good luck with your results.

Re: Re: Does anyone have diabetes or hypoglycemia?

Originally posted by BearClaw

If I remember correctly Lissa's dealing with hypoglycemia... she may have some helpful info on that if she wanders by...
    I feel so loved that you remembered!

Yes, I have severe hypoglycemia......the dr doesn't have me test or anything. I have gotten pretty good at managing it though.

Do you eat on a schedule and does your sister? I know my sister has a moderate case, so it would seem to run in families.

Sorta my day:
    10: Small breakfast
    12:30 Big lunch with lots of protein
    3 Snack
    5:30 Dinner, actually lighter, just heavy on the protein.
    8 Snack

I carry honey sticks with me, they are a godsend when I am out. Actually, Hez sugggested it and since I live in the honey capital of the world....they are in no short supply.

If you are eating consistently and keeping white flour products (and I love bread and pasta ) it will help a lot. Stress will instigate it too in a major way.

Does your doctor think you were misdiagnosed or are you suddenly having more problems?

I grew up with a hypoglycemic (who did not watch at all what she ate.....nightmare!), one of my dearest friends is one, and oh yeah, I also live with one. None of us moniters, so I am just wondering why the doctor is having you do so.

Also check out
    www.diabeticpromotions.com/

Toni

I'm a type II diabetic, I use the One Touch Ultra too. As far as arm testing, true it is less painful but the most accurate readings still come from fingertip testing.

Cont. visit www.lifescan.com and sign up for their free membership - that's how I ended up with the monitor for free

you can also purchase a cable link to feed your monitor info into the downloaded software to make log keeping easier.

Thanks guys for everything :D

I was first diagnosed as hypoglycemic about 3 years ago, but looking back I know it has been going on for years. I've had dozens of episodes where my blood sugar has crashed and I get very dizzy, confused, shaky, I can barely talk, I can't stand up etc. I recover quickly after I get something in my system, but if I eat too much I crash again in an hour or two. It's all a balancing act I guess. To be honest, I always thought hypoglycemia was a joke...until I saw how sick my sister got!

I'm not exactly sure why my new doctor thinks it's important for me to monitor? I think he sees the glucometer as a tool to teach me how much, and how frequently I should be eating. I was crashing in his office and I think he realized that I wasn't taking care of myself properly

I use a new lancet when I test. I didn't know I could reuse them. Those suckers are expensive.

Having grown up with someone who did not take care of hers....I can definately tell you it is no joke. My dad's ex totalled two cars when she blacked out from not eating properly. She would also fly inot rages like you would not believe.

And you sound jsut like me when I am not careful. My friend's wedding was this weekend. Well, the wedding was at my snack time so that threw me off. I did ask her ahead of time about food. Oh, you'll be fine she said. Well, the reception started a half hour late. There was no food on the appertizer table I could eat and dinner was not looking like it was going to be any time soon. DH had to carry me out of there by 6:15 as I started blacking out and someone asked who I was....I did not know. I couldn't tell her.

It is all about control and watching how you eat. My doctor has recommended the Zone Diet for some as a means of controlling it. Another book she recommends is The Low Blood Sugar Handbook by Edward and Patricia Krimmel...his regimen is super strict. I do not follow it exactly but there is some really good info in there.

My doctor by the way is also hypoglycemic, I forgot to mention that. I think that is wonderful. She is so in tune with what I go through. Sorta been there, done that.

I know you eat lots of veggies....try and make sure that you are always balancing them with protein. The book has you cut out most fruits and veggies, but I have found, per my drs suggestion, that I do fine if I balance them with protein and always eat the protein first. Likeif I am going to have a salad, first I eat a chicken breast or whatever. Keeps me more on keel.

Stay far away from caffeine of course.

Honestly, it is more a lifestyle change and most of the practices are very healthful. It is just when you start crashing that you (I) lose control and start binging on the sugar and carbs.

Hope you get things under control.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast