Thread: Need Family vacation driving distance from Chicago

Smile Need Family vacation driving distance from Chicago

Looking for a family vacation spot; reasonable driving distance from Chicago. We've been to all the beautiful beaches and spots in Michiagan and Wisconson and plenty of trips to Orlando. Not an amusment park trip. Historical sites maybe? Kids ages 9 1/2 and 7 1/2. thanks!

Not sure what you consider driving distance. For our family that is anywhere we can get to within 12 hours . Have you ever been to Mammoth Cave in Bowling Green KY? That looks like it is about a 6 hr drive from you. Me and DH went there on our honeymoon, and we'd love to go back someday. We only had one day to spend there, and didn't get to take more than one tour, but it was really neat. We live in MI, and I understand how you can see everything in MI and be ready for something new!

Have you given thought to these?:

Kansas City, Missouri
    Springfield, Illinois (a new abe lincoln musuem just opened up there...I hear it's a must see.)
    Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota
    Canada (yes, it's quite a drive, but a must see, too)
    Cincinnati ,Ohio (rock and roll hall of fame musuem)
    Indiana (don't have a city in mind, but I am sure that you will find something neat to do..)

I am stumped for now. If I come up with anything, I will post it.
    Last edited by gidgetmidget; 05-30-2005 at 08:10 PM.

Mrs

Thanks fro all the ideas. We are definately going to Springfield, we can do that in a weekend. Canada sounds good too, just where and what to see?

Toronto is a good place--you will get to see the whole country of canada in toronto. Very diverse community. http://www.torontotourism.com/visitor

From there it is a reasonable drive to Niagra falls. Been there and I have to admit it is just breath taking. Not just for honeymooners.
    http://www.travelcanada.ca/tc_redesi...d=10&cityId=40

For more info on what to bring, how to plan your trip and to see what there is do in canada:http://www.travelcanada.ca/tc_redesi.../en/us/home.do

From what I see, there are a bunch of historical sites, musuems and cultrual events in canada so I don't think you have to worry about finding something to do in canada. Toronto in the summertime has many events, sports and music activities to do and enjoy. The streets are very clean and almost litter free so that is an amazing tourist site to see (lol).

Originally posted by gidgetmidget

Cincinnati ,Ohio (rock and roll hall of fame musuem)
    FYI: it is Cleveland, not Cincinnati.

oh.. duh!

Ty for correcting me.

pretty much exact opposite ends of the state, about a six hour difference.
    we have actually gone six hours in the wrong direction on vacation once, but that is a lousy story.

Michigan City, IN is supposed to have a great outlet mall. Have you been to the Shipshewana Flea Market? Its on Tuesdays and Wensdays. You can hit the flea market and shops in Middlebury. They are only about 2 to 2 1/2 hours from Chicago on the toll road.