Thread: Unregistered Paypal user?

Question Unregistered Paypal user?

I puchased a cell phone today on eBay then paid immediately with Paypal. After I did this I checked the status of the payment and it shows as "completed" on my end , but then it shows another column in the account history and in the detail for the payment to the seller it states " The recipient of this payment is Unregistered"

What does that mean?

The seller had the "prefers Paypal" logo on their listing and that was the only form of payment accepted , so I'm not sure if I should try to contact them or just wait and see if they "accept" the payment.

I've never seen this before so I thought I'd better ask someone.

Thanks-Tess

Buried under the big pile of "To Do" lists.
    Sounds like the email they put in their listing isn't their paypal email. You should probably contact them and ask if there's a different email you should sent the payment to. And I'd cancel the payment for now. If it is the right email you can always resend the payment later.

I suppose I should ask what their feedback's like--maybe they're new and a bit confused.
    Last edited by kirsche; 04-24-2006 at 04:04 PM.

Paypal email problem

Kirshe,

Good advise. I emailed the seller and advised them of their email being unregistered with Paypal and asked them to correct this today so the payment will go through. If I dont hear back from them by tomorow, I will cancel my payment and seek guidance from eBay / PayPal resolution.

The seller had 4 feedback ratings but has been a member since 2004.

Tess

Angry No response from seller

Well, after sending two emails still no response from the seller in regards to his PayPal account / email problem. So this morning I cancelled the payment that was still sitting there as "unclaimed" and sent him an additional email stating what I had done and why. I requested that he update his PayPal account and then send me a new invoice so I can make payment to him ASAP. Now it's just a waiting game until he responds I guess.

Do you think this warrants a Paypal claim at this point or should I give it the full 10 days from the date of the sale ( those were his terms ) to file a complaint? The thing is I am really annoyed by the fact that his non-responsiveness is causing me to not have the item I purchased so to me he has renigged on his end of the deal.

Any advise would be appreciated.

A Paypal claim? What kind of paypal claim would you file? You've cancelled the payment. Paypal should only get involved if you've made a payment through Paypal and you didn't receive what you paid for [including broken, not as described, etc.] I would contact the seller through ebay and say that you are trying to pay and need the proper information. If that doesn't work, I'd probably forget about it and leave the appropriate feedback.

Buried under the big pile of "To Do" lists.
    I agree. You don't have grounds for a Paypal dispute because no money has changed hands.

How long ago did you buy the phone? Buyers/sellers are supposed to contact each other within 3 business days. As a first step, I'd wait 'till the end of 3 business days, then request their contact info from ebay. (If their contact info is wrong they can be suspended.)

Here's (in part) what ebay says about non-selling sellers. (If you report them like it says below, I'd use the email from Paypal saying they were unregistered.):

When a seller lists an item on eBay, and a buyer bids for and wins that item, the seller and buyer have entered into a contract. Both members are expected to honor that contract. In accordance with that contract, the seller may not:
    • Fail to deliver an item for which payment was accepted.
    • Significantly misrepresent an item by not meeting the terms and item description outlined in the listing.
    • Refuse to accept payment for an item at the end of a successful sale.
    • Refuse to accept a buyer’s PayPal payment using a credit card if the seller included the PayPal logo in the listing which signifies the seller will accept PayPal payments. Sellers are not permitted to state in their listings that PayPal payments made via credit card will not be accepted.
    If a seller has refused to complete a sale, and payment has not been sent or payment has been refunded, report the seller. Make sure to include a copy of the email documenting the seller's refusal to complete the sale with the full message text and complete email headers when making your report.

After receiving a report, eBay will consider the circumstances of the alleged offense. If a complaint cannot be proven with certainty, it is possible that no action will be taken. Due to privacy issues, eBay will be unable to discuss the result of the investigation.
    Last edited by kirsche; 04-26-2006 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by charlestontess
    Well, after sending two emails still no response from the seller in regards to his PayPal account / email problem. So this morning I cancelled the payment that was still sitting there as "unclaimed" and sent him an additional email stating what I had done and why. I requested that he update his PayPal account and then send me a new invoice so I can make payment to him ASAP. Now it's just a waiting game until he responds I guess.

Do you think this warrants a Paypal claim at this point or should I give it the full 10 days from the date of the sale ( those were his terms ) to file a complaint? The thing is I am really annoyed by the fact that his non-responsiveness is causing me to not have the item I purchased so to me he has renigged on his end of the deal.

Any advise would be appreciated.
    You cannot file a claim if no money has changed hands as another member stated.

Your "unregistered" may have nothing to do with paypal. Check the seller's site. Perhaps it is that the seller is now an "unregistered EBAY user". Meaning they no longer sell or buy on ebay under that ID. That would account for no response to your emails or the claiming of the paypal funds.

Update

Well after sending several emails and requesting contact info through eBay, the seller finally responds that she is having problems with her PayPal account and cannot use it at the moment until it "clears". I assume this means she was overdrawn in her account and needed to bring it back to a $0balance, which I can understand. She said it would be all cleared up by May 2nd. I responded by thanking her for letting me know about this and requesting a second time for her to send me an eBay invoice for the purchase so I can take care of this payment. Well it's May 3rd and no response or invoice yet.

I think it's pretty ridiculous that this is still going on a week after the auction ended and still I can't make payment and I don't have the item I purchased. At this point, if I don't hear back from her by Monday, I am reporting her to eBay for not completing the sale as per eBay's rules and I'm buying a phone from someone else. I am NOT begging this seller to send me another invoice, in fact if she does I am asking her to reduce the selling price due to this inconvenience to me! If people are going to sell stuff on eBay they need to be responsible enough to make sure that their Paypal account is active and working when this is the only form of payment they accept.

Thanks to all who offered their advice.

What'cha tryin to fix BIG boy;ain't nuthin broke (down here in Bama)
    After once being accuse of being an unregistered person at paypal,I looked it up,I may have it wrong(that happens sometimesanyways I read that it means unregistered as in does not use a credit card to fund paypal,it shows up as unregistered because your addreess does not match your credit card...if you do n ot use one then and only bank fund your pay pal account you are unregistered.I think its not such a big deal...unless they do not have funds in bank or cc account money available.
    Sure hope you get a good outturn soon.HTH,if its right.

What'cha tryin to fix BIG boy;ain't nuthin broke (down here in Bama)

I didn't have an edit key I wanted to add I managed to get locked out of my own account(GO AHEADOL) once because of password problems,you only get a few tries then it kicks you out(or did then) until you send back in a form to them answering your information.Takes a few days b ut not ten,unless you can't print it out or fax it to them it can be slow I guess.