Thread: Nutrisystem any good?

Nutrisystem any good?

My husband doctor suggested he try Nutrisystem to loose weight. His doctor said he has tried it and lost some weight and he found that nutrisystem was better for men (no counting no meetings) then other weight loss programs. I do not know much about any weight loss programs so I was hoping some of you who have had experience with them could shed some light. GOOD OR BAD. Thanks in advance for any input. Take care Carol
    Last edited by cmkarpo; 01-03-2007 at 10:07 PM.

I did it for a couple of months last year and it does work well.

Some of the food it pretty good, some of it is gross. There isn't a cut and dry on it either. Some people love ones that I hated and vice versa.

When figuring the cost, remember that you have to buy your fruit, dairy, some proteins and any breads where needed.

Here is a wonderful support and information board on NutriSystem:

http://jazzman.19.forumer.com/index....977f5479f8d6cd

My husband is trying sparkpeople.org

He just started a few days ago. It's free.

My DH has been on Nutrisystem for close to six months now and has lost almost 50 lbs. He's pretty happy with the food for the most part. It is rather expensive though.

I was thinking about getting Nutrisystem but the price is like WHOA!!!
    Are the servings of food small?
    Do you ever get to switch up the food you get?

Thanks a lot,

Shanna

Yes.. the servings are pretty small. You do get to pick which foods you want.

Quote Originally Posted by ivy_sugar18 View Post
    I was thinking about getting Nutrisystem but the price is like WHOA!!!
    Are the servings of food small?
    Do you ever get to switch up the food you get?

Thanks a lot,

Shanna
    To me, the servings seemed around the same size as the frozen Lean Cuisine type meals you get at the grocery store. The NS meals are shelf stable. You don't have to refrigerate or freeze them.

I just started NS a week ago, and I lost 4.5 pounds in the first week even in spite of the fact that DH and I ate out at Olive Garden for lunch one day ( I got the minestrone and the light salad dressing on the salad and avoided the breadsticks.) and Red Lobster one night (I got the aztec grilled chicken, steamed veggies, and a baked potato.) I've been really happy with it so far.

Some of the foods aren't so good, but others are decent. The pizza is good (small, but good), and I like the black bean tortilla soup too. All of the breakfasts that I have had have been good...well the scrambled eggs are a bit weird, but edible. The only foods that I have really hated so far were the strawberry shortcake bar and the minestrone soup....but I just found on the NS message boards that alot of people have posted suggestions for how to make some of the foods taste a bit better and still fit them in the plan. Like adding diced or crushed tomatoes to the minestrone as a vegetable serving....I'm going to try that.

You do add food to each meal so you still have to go buy milk, fruit, salad stuff, veggies, etc. Men get to eat more carbs than women on the plan. So you would have to buy brown rice, whole grain rolls or bread, pitas, pasta, oatmeal, corn, or beans....whatever he would like. The soups are the size of those soup cups that you can buy in the store and add boiling water to or the chef boyardee microwavable bowls.

Here's what men get to eat over the course of a day
    Breakfast: NS Breakfast Entree, Fruit Serving, Dairy or Protein Serving, Carb
    Lunch: NS Lunch Entree, Dairy or Protein Serving, Salad, Carb
    Snack: Fruit Serving, Dairy or Protein
    Dinner: NS Dinner Entree, 2 Veggie Servings, Salad or Fruit, 2 Fat Servings, Carb
    Dessert: NS Dessert Entree

In addition to all of that, you also get a few "free" foods a day. One of which is sugar free gelatin.

Anyway, check out the Nutri-System website. There's alot of info on there. Especially on the message boards....if it let's you get to them without being a member. My dad did the program several years ago, and he did well on it too.

If he decides to try it, PM me your email address, and I'll send you a $30 coupon off your first order.

HTH!
    Debbie (Eltonfan on NS Member pages)

OH! And if you pick the customizable food plans....which I did because there are alot of foods that I don't like....you get to pick exactly which foods you want and how many of each.
    Last edited by dtanner; 01-11-2007 at 01:48 AM.

Thank you all for your response. I ordered his food the other day it should be here any day. Thanks again for all your advice

Quote Originally Posted by cmkarpo View Post
    Thank you all for your response. I ordered his food the other day it should be here any day. Thanks again for all your advice
    Great! Good luck to him! I'm on Day 13 now still lovin' the program. I missed out on the $30 buddy coupon when I placed my first order, but I recently found out from the message boards that you can actually get one from another member and apply it to your second order. I'm so excited about that! The food is a little pricey so it's nice to save a few bucks here and there.

Oh, when his food comes in, go ahead and sort it out by breakfasts, lunches, dinners, and desserts. It says on the right hand side of each package what meal it is for. It will make it easier when you/he go to pick something to eat. And you may want to just go through and count how many they sent you, they shorted me a lunch in my first order. I called customer service, and they offered to either send me a replacement or credit me $5 off my next order. I took the credit since the lunches cost less than $5. They were super nice about it though.

Again, good luck to him!
    Debbie