Paraffin Candles are toxic
Paraffin Candles are toxic and can damage your home.
In 2001 the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) concluded that a burning
paraffin candle emits harmful amounts of toxins in the air that are considered
above the excess cancer risk, with multiple exposures.
According to California's safe drinking water and toxic enforcement act of 1986, there are eleven toxins in paraffin candle wax--substances found in paint, lacquer and varnish removers.
Paraffin is made from leftover residue of the final petroleum refining process.
Paraffin candles give off the same soot and toxins as the exhaust of a diesel
engine, and is considered just as dangerous as second hand smoke, causing
problems, from headaches to lung cancer. Paraffin fumes have been found to cause tumors in the kidneys and liver of lab animals.
In 2005, the American Lung Association issued a warning, to the public, about
the dangers of paraffin.
Lead wicks and the flame of a burning candle increases the amount of
particulates, volatile compounds, and soot released into the air.
Soy wax melts at a lower temperature than paraffin does and doesn't get hot
enough to burn a child. Melting at a lower temperature allows the candle's
fragrance to be distributed in the air faster and to radiate further, thus soy
candles last as much as 40%-to 50% longer and hold their scent longer. The
candle warmer can further extend the life of the soy candle.
Not only can the flame from a wick burn an animal or child, but 4% of all
residential fires are attributed to burning candles. Most offices won't allow a
candle to be burned, due to fire dangers/OSHA laws.
It has been suggested by Realtors and home stagers that we use wonderful
smelling candles to make a home more appealing, thus selling it quickly and for
the most money. Many of us have seen black soot appear on the sides of even expensive candle jars. Unfortunately, that candle soot can cause damage to your home as it darkens walls, furniture, ceilings and contaminates ventilation ducts.
Anything with a flame has the potential to soot under normal burning conditions, yet soy candles produce 90% less soot when burned, than paraffin candles!
All-natural soy candles are "a clean-burning and great smelling solution" to
Flameless home fragrances
With flameless soy candles, melted on a candle warmer, you don't get
soot, nor the awful smelling black smoke when extinguishing the candle. Unlike
paraffin wax, soy does not emit dangerous, headache-inducing toxins and
carcinogens, such as lead, acetone, benzene and mercury, when burned.
Using soy candles also helps soybean farmers and the economy.
P.S. Hobby Lobby has candle warmers for the candles for $3.99 ---and that is even cheaper than Wal-Mart!!
Celebrities who use soy candles.
Who is using soy candles?
- Ryan Seacrest, host of American Idol, regularly gives soy candles to celebrity guests on his On Air with Ryan Seacrest TV program.
- At Tori Spelling's wedding, the actress chose Soy candles as gifts to her wedding party and out-of-town guests.
- Soy candles are a favorite of Jennifer Aniston and Drew Barrymore.
- The Ellen Degeneres Show chose soy wax candles for their guests.
- Soy wax Candles are given away in the swag celebrities get at awards ceremonies.
- Toronto’s 2006 ReelWorld Film Festival (RWFF) invited guests and media walked away with hand poured soy candles .
- Lindsay Lohan' s birthday celebration. Soy candles were placed in the gift bags for guests.
- SOY candles were on the reality show with George Hamilton, Alana Stewart, and families touring the Hawaiian Islands.
- SOY featured on MTV reality show "Meet the Barkers.
- Oprah, who happens to be a billionaire
It is the candle of choice for the rich.
One store in our city sells an 8 oz. candle for $32 and a 15 oz for $60! What is the deal. (You can make they for way cheaper than that!)
Soy candles were the cheap ones until they got the "green and clean" promotions.I do like them better,I have problems breathing when some candles are lit,but not with soy ones.In my experience if they have the wrong wicks theyh still can cause black soot,if its a lead wick you can get black smoke.
soybeans are grown everywhere around here,but the candles are not so cheap anymore Although its worth the money difference healthwise.
You are exactly right about the wicks.
Originally Posted by Snoopkitty
I tried to learn everything I could about them and have taught others to make them who are now selling them. One thing I found out is that you do NOT have to buy all the equipment to make them that the suppliers tell you to buy. (You can easily get by with what is already in your kitchen....which drops the price way down.)
I can make a 16 oz for about $4.83....and sell it for whatever the market will allow.