Thread: Steroids and hormones in milk

Steroids and hormones in milk

I had read about how milk is full of iodine which is given to the cows as an antibiotic and also that milk was full of steroids (to make the calves grow fast)* and hormones (to stimulate milk production).

After pricing organic milk ($3.78 for 1/2 gallon) I decided to go with soy. Soy is higher than regular milk and it is ok but it wasn't what I really liked best so I don't buy it often.

When we were at Braum's Ice Cream and Dairy getting milk for DH there was a flyer that says their milk comes exclusively from their own private herd of over 10,000 cows AND they do not inject cows with hormones (like rBGH) to stimulate milk production nor do they add antibiotics to their feed.

We have always liked Braum's milk really well as it seems to taste better and last longer. And it is usually less in price than Wal-Mart.

their milk comes exclusively from their own private herd of over 10,000 cows AND they do not inject cows with hormones (like rBGH) to stimulate milk production nor do they add antibiotics to their feed.

i used to work at a store called Byrne Dairy that is this way. the milk tastes so much better from there, and it comes in glass bottles still. and i can't stand the taste of milk. haha.

rBGH or Recombined Bovine Growth Hormone

rBGH is a synthetic version of the bovine growth hormone, (would I really want a growth hormone passed to my little ones through milk they drink?) which does nothing to improve the quality of the milk, only the amount.

Cows injected with the synthetic hormone produced up to 10% more milk daily which has positive impact for the milk producers bottom line. One third of dairy cattle in the U.S. are being injected with rBGH.

Some studies have even suggested links to breast, prostate and colorectal cancers in humans.

Canada and most of the European Union have NOT approved the use of the synthetic hormones in milk cows. Not enough studies have been done to prove its safety.

Consumer demand for organic (synthetic hormone-free) milk has many milk retailers beginning to avoid the use of milk from rBGH injected cows.

Disclaimers on the Monsanto web site acknowledge the use of rBGH can have detrimental effects on cattle, including reproductive and foot problems and an increase in the likelihood of an inflammation of the milk producing glands of cow. Even the manufacturer of rBGH says it can have negative effects!! YIKES!
    Last edited by girltalk; 03-21-2007 at 06:05 PM.

Has you seen this about Wal-Mart's milk?

http://www.snopes.com/medical/potables/walmart.asp

NOTE: Recombinant Bovine Somatotropin (rBST) is another name for recombinant Bovine Growth Hormone (rBGH).

A doctor told me today it is better to buy unpasteurized milk if we can get it. (He said it will freeze.)

My cousin's doctor also just told her to not buy the Wal-Mart milk. The antibiotics in it cause yeast infections!
    Last edited by girltalk; 10-21-2007 at 06:12 PM.

MRSA (a strain of staph) can enter the body through a cut or other wound and can cause serious illness in older adults and people who have weakened immune systems, usually in hospitals and long term care facilities.

Like other superbugs, MRSA is the result of decades of excessive and unnecessary antibiotic use.as it creates antibiotic resistance. For years, antibiotics have been prescribed incorrectly for colds, flu and other viral infections that don't respond to these drugs, as well as for simple bacterial infections that normally clear on their own.

Antibiotics can also be found in livestock. These antibiotics find their way into municipal water systems when the runoff from feedlots contaminates streams and groundwater.

Even antibiotics used appropriately, can contribute to the rise of drug-resistant bacteria because germs that survive treatment with one antibiotic soon learn to resist others and bacteria mutates much more quickly than new drugs can be produced,thus some germs end up resistant to just about everything. That's why only a handful of drugs are now effective against most forms of staph.

Clostridium difficile, often referred to as C. diff or C. difficile.-

Infections have reached epidemic proportions in hospitals and nursing homes around the world. with one of the most widespread and potentially serious of these illnesses caused by the bacterium Clostridium difficile, often simply called C. diff or C. difficile.

C. difficile bacteria while found in soil, air, water, human and animal feces, and on most surfaces creates problems when they grow in abnormally large numbers in the intestinal tract of people taking antibiotics or other antimicrobial drugs. C. difficile can cause symptoms ranging from diarrhea to life-threatening inflammations of the colon.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, each year in the United States C. difficile is responsible for tens of thousands of cases of diarrhea and at least 5,000 deaths. The number of C. difficile infections doubled between 1993 and 2003, with most of the increase coming after 2000.

C. difficile is a growing problem among otherwise healthy people. Virulent strains of C. difficile are now appearing that resist treatment with common medications.

Google MRSA AND C. Diff to read more

See also http://www.freesamplesite.com/ydf/sh....php?p=1630873
    Last edited by girltalk; 07-21-2008 at 11:08 PM.

I have heard some people state they will not take antibiotics unless they are really really sick as they don't want to develop an immunity to the antibiotics. From what I understand however, the "bugs" or germs out there tend to mutate (or develop immunity) so even if you haven't had antibiotics in years, the germs -i.e., bacterias- you may catch may be resistant to the antibiotics because of the general overuse of antibiotics. Hopefully some "super" antibiotics will be developed to attack these "super bugs" before the bugs wipe us all out.

Thanks for sharing, this is scary stuff.