Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: High Cholesterol--help please

High Cholesterol--help please

Hi,

I need ideas. I am 50, 149lb, 5'4". My cholesterol is 262 (low HDL, high LDL--Triglycerides are fine) even with cutting out most fats (Smart Balance spread, nonfat mayo, nonfat cheese, lean beef, skinless chicken, ground turkey, lots of fresh veggies and fruits.) BUT I do cook with white flour and sugar. I stopped that and went to whole grain and Spenda after my blood test results earlier this month.

I joined the YMCA last year and work out 3-5 times a week for 45-60 mins including resistance machines and eliptical.

The doctor is ready to put me on meds so I bought fish oil, flushless niacin and garlic caps. What else can I do? Any suggestions on ANYTHING else? Please, I don't want to go on statins.

Thanks.

eat almonds and walnuts. you could try adding flaxseed oil.

It sounds like you're doing all of the things I would have suggested. The only other idea I have is to try to have oatmeal for breakfast every day. Also, how long have you been incorporating these diet/exercise changes? If it's only been since the end of last year, it still may be too early to show much change. On the other hand, for some people, diet and exercise aren't enough (especially when it comes to raising HDL), and you may have to try statins as a last resort.

Oats daily, nuts, seeds and flax 2-4 times a week, started working out at the YMCA April 2006 regularly!!! (Have lost 10 lbs)

Don't want to take statins. Boo-Hiss!

Keep the ideas coming please. You may have the very thing I need to consider and haven't yet.

Thanks

I read on the bottle of fiber tablets (the Wal-Mart version of Metamucil) that one of the recommendations for usage is to help reduce cholesterol.

Thanks, I'm already doing FiberSure. :cool: (Just can't find much new to try.)

Next blood test is April 13th.

I've added more Bible reading and prayer. They say that prayer and meditation can lower blood pressure and heart rate, I will see if increasing my time with the Lord will have a healthy impact on cholesterol.

I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions - but sometimes I think your genetics are more to blame for things like this than your actual lifestyle habits. I developed high blood pressure last year, and my doctor tried to find a "reason" for it through numerous blood tests and other tests. All of my results came back normal/fine - so there's basically no "reason" for it. She told me that sometimes genetics just gets you. (My dad's had high blood pressure for many years, and my mom now has it too.)

What'cha tryin to fix BIG boy;ain't nuthin broke (down here in Bama)
    Petting a pet for several minutes a day is proven to lower blood pressure,anything soothing done daily should help.Otherwise you seem to be doing everything right.Some of us do have naturally higher cholesterol.
    How many fish oil tabs a day do you take?I was so afraid I wouls stink,so far no one has comented and I can't smell anything ,my skins improving,its supposed to help my arthritis.too soon to tell on that.Buy they do have a strong fresh fish odor...I may try fishing with one LOL

Wow, you are almost my twin! I am 48, but everything else is the same, including the labs! LOL
    I brought mine down with diet and exercise. You should add walking 2-3 miles a few times a week to your routine. Also do add Quaker Weight Control Oatmeal daily for breakfast.

I just saw an ad saying that pomegranates and pomegranate juice are supposed to lower cholesterol ... not sure by how much though. Maybe it would add a little variety to what you're already trying

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast