Thread: MSG (Monosodium Glutamate) and Fibromyalgia?

MSG (Monosodium Glutamate) and Fibromyalgia?

I had been tracking when my DH and I started having pain and it was almost always when we had eaten Doritoes (my fav) or other chips or foods with MSG.

MSG triggers the (recently identified) taste buds which are sensitive to umami, one of the five basic tastes (the word umami is a loanword from Japanese; it is also sometimes referred to as "savury" or "more-ish"). It is believed that "umami" taste buds respond specifically to certain amino acids (such as glutamic acid) in the same way that "sweet" taste buds respond to sugars.

I did some research on the internet to see if there was a link between MSG (monosoduim glutamate) and Fibromyalgia.

When we avoid this stuff we feel great....but let us slip up and we are in incredible pain.

MSG (Monosodium Glutamate) Causes Pain

Every person is different so they will have different reactions. Here is a list of some of the common symptoms one may see:

Abdominal pain, achiness, angina, back pain, chest pain, cramps, foot pain, fibromyalgia, hand pain, headache, jaw pain, joint pain, pain in the bones, migraine, neck pain, numbness, stiffness, tightness, extreme drop in blood pressure, rapid heartbeat (tachycardia); angina; Cardiac Arrest Symptoms, swelling, fluid retention, depression, mood swings, attention deficit disorder (ADD); dizziness; light-headedness; disorientation; mental confusion, anxiety, panic attacks, hyperactivity, behavioral problems in children, rage episodes, lethargy, sleep disturbances (drowsiness or sleepiness and insomnia in others) numbness or paralysis; slurred speech, Meniere's disease, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach cramps, irritable bowel, bloating acid reflux, asthma, shortness of breath, chest pain, runny nose, tightness in respiratory area, sneezing, hives or rash, mouth lesions, temporary tightness or partial paralysis (Skin), numbness or tingling of skin, flushing, sweating (hot flashes), dry mouth, swelling of prostrate, nocturia, blurred vision, difficulty focusing, temporary loss of vision, burning sensation in the back of the neck, forearms and chest, numbness in the back of the neck, radiating to the arms and back, tingling, warmth and weakness in the face, temples, upper back neck and arms, facial pressure or tightness, tooth pain, bronchospasm (difficulty breathing), difficulty in concentrating, convulsions, swelling of the throat, bruxism (grinding or clenching of the teeth) throbbing of the head, tinnitus.

http://dearpharmacist.com/?p=2060
    Too much MSG- This food additive -used to enhance flavor- is also known as “monosodium glutatmate” and it goes by a bunch of other aliases on food labels, making it hard to spot, and even harder to avoid because it’s in practically everything! MSG is known as as an “excitotoxin” because it sort of vibrates the brain cells to death, hence the term “excitotoxin.” The immature brain, like that in a fetus or infant is four times more sensitive to excitotoxins than the adult. Sensitivity also increases in the elderly. We, as humans, are five times more sensitive to MSG than mice, and 20 times more sensitive than Rhesus monkeys. I’m telling you this because most studies are done in animals so when I read a study, I feel safe assuming that humans fare out worse than the animals used in the MSG studies. Before you dismiss the idea that what you eat matters to your brain, realize that scientific research strongly supports the notion that “excitotoxicity” is a major mechanism contributing to neuronal degeneration (brain death) and is in fact, tied to epilepsy. It occurs in part due to excessive glutamate production. Guess what, supplements of GABA sold at health food stores may offset the glutamate, and calm your brain down. Taurine could help too. Ask your doctor about these natural options and bear in mind that you’re doctor should study the actual dosages used because epilepsy requires higher dosages than those marked on the product label. Ask what is safe for you, based upon your liver and kidney function, and your particular condition.

The level of vitamin B6 in a person's body plays a role in glutamate metabolism, and the possible impact of marginal B6 intake should be considered in helping a person.

If you are having some of these complaints it might be wise to check all labels closely.

But that is not enough as they also call it by other names!

Hidden Sources of MSG

Few people realize how prevalent MSG is. Fewer still realize that
    there are many different names for processed free glutamic acid.
    MSG is often combined with other substances and renamed, or
    created by the manufacturing process.

These ingredients ALWAYS contain MSG:

-- Monosodium glutamate
    -- Calcium caseinate
    -- Textured protein
    -- Monopotassium glutamate
    -- Glutamate
    -- Glutamic acid
    -- Gelatin
    -- Sodium caseinate
    -- Yeast nutrient
    -- Autolyzed yeast
    -- Hydrolyzed corn gluten
    -- Hydrolyzed soy protein
    -- Hydrolyzed wheat protein
    -- Hydrolyzed protein such as vegetable protein (the word
    "hydrolyzed" on the label is a good tip-off)

If a product label says it contains some form of "hydrolyzed" protein,
    it contains MSG.

These ingredients OFTEN contain MSG (or MSG is created during
    processing):

-- Maltodextrin
    -- Malt extract
    -- Carrageenan
    -- Soy protein isolate
    -- Natural pork flavoring
    -- Citric acid
    -- Malt flavoring
    -- Barley malt
    -- Soy sauce stock or soy sauce extract
    -- Soy protein or soy protein concentrate
    -- Bouillon and broth
    -- Natural chicken flavoring
    -- Natural beef flavoring
    -- Ultra-pasteurized
    -- Whey protein concentrate
    -- Pectin
    -- Protease
    -- Whey protein
    -- Whey protein isolate
    -- Protein fortified

Note: Even if a product label says "MSG free," it may still contain
    processed free glutamic acid concealed under one of its other
    names. Read the label to be sure.

By FDA definition, all MSG is "naturally occurring". "Natural" doesn't mean safe!

Ingestion of MSG is know to produce a variety of adverse reactions in certain people. These reactions, along with seemingly dissimilar, are no more diverse than the reactions found as side effects of certain neurological drugs. We do not know why some people experience reactions and others do not. We don't know whether MSG "causes" the condition underlying the reaction, or whether the underlying condition is simply aggravated by the ingestion of MSG. We only know that these are sometimes caused or exacerbted by the ingestion of MSG.

A product containing a substantial amount of processed free glutamic acid (MSG) has been approved for use as a "growth enhancer" spray for use on agricultural products. Approximately 30 per cent of the product is MSG. The action is summarized in the press release that follows.

MSG is known to trigger migraine headache, tachycardia, arrhythmia, seizures, asthma, nausea and vomiting, hives, skin rash, anxiety attacks, depression and much, much more in people who have become sensitive to it. It causes gross obesity and learning disorders in laboratory animals that ingest it when young. Read how they make lab rats OBESE: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1106764

You can read about what it is, what it does, and where it's hidden in food on Web site: http://www.truthinlabeling.org. But now that spraying MSG ON agricultural products as they grow has been approved, ANY fresh food may have some residual MSG on it, and processed food made from fresh fruit or vegetables may have MSG in it, too. Baby food, largely free of MSG since the late 1970's, will now have MSG in it. Processed food will now have more MSG in it than it did before. And there may be MSG residue on every tomato, cucumber, strawberry, leaf of lettuce, or peanut that you eat, as well as on every other fresh fruit, grain or vegetable.

We think you should be concerned. This is an EPA (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency) approval, effective February 6, 1998. We are asking that the approval be rescinded. Being told by the EPA that it is OUR responsibility to demonstrate that residue from spraying MSG on produce while it's growing is a potential health hazard, and interpreting that to mean that the EPA will not look into the matter without extreme pressure, we have provided them more than sufficient material to demonstrate the MSG places humans at risk. We have also written to the producer, Auxein Corporation, informing them that their product is potentially toxic, and asking them to withdraw it from the market.

But if no one but Jack Samuels lets the EPA know they don't want MSG sprayed on food, the approval won't be rescinded. And unless the producers, who must see millions of dollars in profits down the road, really didn't know the product is harmful, or is scared silly by the threat of potential law suits, they might not be the least bit concerned. Whether or not you think that you, your parents, your children, your grandchildren or your animals (where reactions are most often manifested as skin rash) are sensitive to MSG, we can't believe that anyone would want it sprayed on their food while it's growing.

If you think it's wrong to spray MSG on fruit and vegetable crops, please register your concern by contacting Dr. Lynn Goldman at the EPA at the address or numbers below; by forwarding a copy of this e-mail to everyone you know; and by sending a copy of the press release to each of your local papers. (Advertisers and boards of directors of the larger papers seem to discourage articles that criticize MSG.) Dr. Goldman can be reached as follows:

Lynn Goldman, M.D.
    Assistant Administrator for Prevention, Pesticides, and Toxic Substances
    U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
    401 M Street, S.W.
    Washington, DC 20460

Phone: 202/260-2902

Fax: 202/260-1847
    Last edited by girltalk; 10-29-2015 at 03:44 PM.

Why Has Fibromyalgia And Chronic Fatigue Reached Epidemic Proportions?

Over the years, consumers have complained that MSG has caused weight problems, migraine headaches, sleeping disorders, asthma, glaucoma, diabetes
    It has been said that every restaurant uses MSG in some form.

MSG enhances the natural flavours of meats, poultry, seafood and many vegetables. Hence, in restaurants- especially Chinese restaurants- these prepared meals may contain MSG. MSG can also be found in most processed soups, stews, meat based sauces, salad dressings, processed meats, frozen entrees, ice cream, frozen yogurt and snack foods. It is also used in low fat foods to make up for flavor lost when fat is reduced or eliminated.

MSG is now the most widely used flavor enhancer in the world. MSG and MSG-containing substances are used in processed food, in fast foods, and in Chinese food. They're also found in nearly all canned and frozen foods.

Many people have severe reactions to MSG, some of them life-threatening. MSG has been linked to asthma, headaches, and heart irregularities. Behavioral and physical problems of children, such as incontinence and seizures, as well as attention deficit disorder (ADD), have been diagnosed and successfully treated as MSG disorders.

Below is from: http://www.msgtruth.org/avoid.htm

The following foods contain MSG or its business end - the free amino acid glutamate - in amounts large enough to cause reactions in those sensitive to it.:

Here are just a very small amount of the foods we eat that now contain MSG. I had been overloading my family and my own body with this junk and we all felt bad all the time. (I knew not to eat Chinese food that contained MSG but never dreamed it was being put in so many things I bought.)

-- canned Soup, including Campbell's Chunky Soup, Progresso® Soups - all of them
    -- McDonalds
    -- potato chips and Doritos® and Pringles®
    -- KFC® - most of their other products
    -- Boar's Head® cold cuts and most of their hotdogs
    -- Lipton® Noodles and Sauce
    -- Taco seasoning
    -- Planters® salted nuts - most of them
    -- Accent® -
    -- sausages - most supermarkets add MSG to theirs
    -- processed cheese spread (I looked and yes, my Tostitos Queso jar shows it!)
    -- turkeys that are injected or "self-basting" (some other poultry)
    -- ramen noodles
    -- instant soup mixes (including Lipton® Instant soup mix and Knorr® products )
    -- boullion - any kind
    -- many salad dressings
    -- Packaged box dinners (like the macaroni and cheese kids eat) Hamburger Helper Microwave Singles® (targeted towards children) NOTE: Kraft® products nearly all contain some free glutamate
    -- gelatin (JELL-O)
    -- canned tuna
    -- hot dogs and other processed meats
    -- soy sauce
    -- Worcestershire sauce
    -- Gold Medal flour (and many other brands of flour )
    -- Parmesan cheese
    -- over-ripe tomatoes - naturally high in free glutamate
    -- mushrooms - naturally high in free glutamate
    --Medications in gelcaps - contain free glutamic acid in the gelatin
    -- Frozen dinners
    -- Broth
    -- Infant formula
    -- Packaged stuffing
    -- Cosmetics and shampoos - some now contain glutamic acid
    -- Canned vegetables
    -- Fresh produce sprayed with Auxigro in the field. (Yes the EPA approved this!)

Be aware it is not just the brand names mentioned, but many similar products to the ones listed also contain MSG. You must read labels. These product names were given as examples of the many products that contain MSG.

Four good rules of thumb are:

The more salty a processed food is, the more likely it is to contain MSG or free glutamate.
    The more processed a food is, the more likely it is to contain MSG or free glutamate: powdered stuff that used to be food is likely to have added MSG because the original flavor has been degraded.
    The more ingredients in a packaged food, the more likely MSG is present. Read labels carefully if a food has more than five ingredients.

Do not trust something simply because it is in a health food store and the label states it is natural or even organic.

The next wave of hastily approved "MSG replacers" you may wish to avoid will be Senomyx.
    According to the New York Times April 6, 2005 article "Food Companies Test Flavorings That Can Mimic Sugar, Salt or MSG":

" Since Senomyx's flavor compounds will be used in small proportions (less than one part per million), the company is able to bypass the lengthy F.D.A. approval process required to get food additives on the market. Getting the Flavor and Extract Manufacturers Association status of generally recognized as safe, or GRAS, took Senomyx less than 18 months, including a 3-month safety study using rats. In contrast, the maker of the artificial sweetener sucralose spent 11 years winning F.D.A. approval and is required to list the ingredient on food labels."

And Senomyx DOESN'T have to be labeled as such. It will be grouped under "artificial flavors". They still don't believe the consumer should know what they are eating.

________________________________________________________________I

Also read MSG and Aspartame-
    http://www.msgtruth.org/aspartam.htm

See the link from MSG to Obesity http://www.freesamplesite.com/ydf/sh...d.php?t=208297
    Last edited by girltalk; 03-21-2007 at 10:47 PM.

Jacob Teitelbaum, MD, used his own experiences to become the foremost expert in fibromyalgia a

While in med school Jacob Teitelbaum, MD, came down with a nasty viral infection and couldn’t get
    out of bed for six weeks. They thought he was depressed. He lost his scholarship, had to drop out of
    medical school, was too fatigued and sick to work and slept on park benches and couches of friends
    and relatives.” The “drop dead flu” turned out to be undiagnosed chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia.

That period in his life triggered a lifelong study of fatigue.

Fast-forward a few decades and Teitelbaum who has boundless energy is one of the country’s premiere
    experts on integrative medicine, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, and energy.

He found that conventional medicine had little to offer for his condition. “Conventional medicine is great
    at bleeding ulcers, appendectomies, myocardial infarctions—any kind of immediate crisis,” he says. “But
    it’s lousy for non-life threatening diseases.”

So he did what so many other pioneers of integrative medicine have done—he sought out ways to heal
    himself. “ “The whole thing just ‘popped open,’ which was as much a shock to me as anyone else.” After
    a time, Teitelbaum returned to medical school, but he was never the same. He had learned that there’s
    a lot more to healing than can be found in the conventional medical curriculum.

“I discovered the effects of sugar on the body. I learned about Candida. About the adrenals. About the
    effects of emotional chaos. I had gone into med school thinking that MDs know it all. But by the time I
    graduated, I had a whole different philosophy.”

That philosophy led Teitelbaum to develop the SHINE protocol, which has now been used successfully
    for over a decade. “The SHINE protocol helps 91 percent of people with fibro feel much better.”
    S - (Sleep) Restoring deep, restful, uninterrupted sleep is the first step in balancing hormones and
    repairing the body.
    H - (Hormonal Support) Then, hormone replacement is used, if necessary, to finish correcting any
    imbalances.
    I - (Infection/Inflammation) The physician then looks for signs of infection.
    N - (Nutrition)Nutrition is addressed by eliminating as much sugar as possible from the diet, and
    increasing intake of anti-inflammatory nutrients such as omega-3s, curcumin, resveratrol, and green
    tea.
    E - (Exercise) And finally, exercise—as tolerated—is prescribed

But healing chronic energy problems isn’t just about physical health.

He believes that if you treat only the physical aspect of the illness without treating the psycho-spiritual
    component, your body will just find another way to become sick. “It’s good to treat both,” he says.

http://www.betternutrition.com/media...r2014_Food.pdf Page 10

I don't respond as often as I could and yet truly appreciate and learn from the postings you are good enough to share. Thank you!

It's interesting that one woman I know with fatigue, fibromyalgia eats nothing but fast food take out and junk food.

It's a tough one because if you feel tired, you don't want to cook from scratch. However, if you intake nothing but processed and fast food day in and day out as your only diet, you will feel more tired and unwell.

Also, when one becomes accustomed to certain tastes, subtle flavorings like natural herbs, spices, lemon juice and zest, a bit of white wine, homemade chicken broth, sun dried tomatoes, toasted sesame seeds, chopped green onions, fresh parsley and dill, homemade pico de gallo, don't give the person the same (addictive) satisfaction of the other way of eating. I see that as part of the problem, because the taste buds and one's brain is conditioned to want the excitement of MSG and so on.

The other issue is again, the time it takes to prepare things from scratch. I don't mean soup from a packaged mix that you add a few things to as cooking from scratch. I'm talking about an organic, unadulterated chicken you roast, serve to your family and turn the rest into soup or at the very least, homemade stock. Very difficult for someone who is tired.

I did try to help one friend of ours who despite in interest in health, would get tired after working all day and he'd grab chips, beer, a soda, food from the grocery deli and call that dinner. I sent home meals I'd made and soup and he loved them. However, there is the old "Teach a man to fish" saying.

So, I invited him here to learn to cook for himself. He didn't want to. Too much work.

There are days I am tired and don't feel like fussing with stock pots, chopping and doing and doing. However, it's so satisfying being able to pull homemade soup (or whatever) from the freezer and that is our version of "fast food."

It's shameful that we have to protect ourselves against harmful chemicals, additives and such but that's how it goes.

I know our daughter is concerned about her little son, nurses him, makes him homemade baby food (he's exploring simple foods like sweet potato, banana, etc) and of course we make Theo homemade applesauce from apples that have never been sprayed. Wish I could do that for every little one out there...

Thanks again for the research and care you put into sharing with us.

Hugs,

W.

When our liver is operating below its optimal functioning level, its ability to cleanse the blood diminishes. .....The ideal way for anybody, particularly someone with liver disease, to prevent the liver’s overload and consequent shutting down, is to reduce the load of toxins it must process........ Taking common sense steps to reduce the daily toxic onslaught is recommended for individuals with a diminished capacity to remove toxins from their blood.

..... some of the more commonly known toxins (alcohol, cigarettes, formaldehyde, etc.), ..........

Monosodium Glutamate (MSG): This flavor enhancer for a variety of foods has been used for many years. Many mistakenly assume that only Asian restaurant foods contain MSG, but it is found in everything from soups, to snacks, to main courses. Although the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) claims that MSG is generally recognized as safe, its toxic effects have been reported for decades. Based on peer reviewed studies, there is no question that glutamic acid is neurotoxic.

Go here to read about the other four toxins the article mentions:
    http://www.liversupport.com/wordpres...to-your-liver/
    Last edited by girltalk; 10-01-2014 at 02:03 AM.

Why has fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue reached epidemic proportions?
    (After opening the link scroll down and read the comment.)
    Last edited by girltalk; 03-20-2017 at 02:33 PM.