Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dollywood ??

Dollywood ??

Who can tell me about this place? From a cowboy/cowgirl to another cowgirl....can you all give me the low down? And recommendations of what to do there.

Also.....anything else in the area to do? I would imagine it's pretty happenin', right?

Ok...no one wants to tell me anything about this place? I wish you would. I've never been & really would like to go. I'd love to know if you recommend a hotel nearby....things to do nearby....and about Dollywood itself. Is Dollywood family friendly...like kids ages 3, 7 & 17? Please help me out....I'd rather hear from someone that will be honest about the good or not-so-good.

Thanks!~

I'll be anxious to hear reviews too. We've heard quite a bit of great things lately about Gatlinburg and I think people said Dollywood is located in that area. It sounds like a very beautiful area and reasonably priced. I hope Dollywood is family friendly, even if some attractions are phallically based!

Ok, I personally have never been there. But we live an hour away and my kids have been there quite a bit with their grandparents. There is definitely things for all ages. My son is 3 and he LOVES Dollywood. He loves trains, so he thinks getting to ride "diesel" is the coolest thing ever!! My dd just turned 8 and she rode everything she could....lol We have friends that get season passes every year and my dh's friend swears that is his favorite park to go to.....especially b/c it IS family friendly! They even have a little area especially for the little ones. Sorry I couldn't be more help with my own experience, but I have heard nothing but good things. Maybe someone else could help you out on a hotel etc. We have stayed there before, but it's been a while. And YES!!!! It is a happenin' place...lol LOTS and LOTS to do!

BTW, not sure where you live, but leaves are already changing in our area

Oh and a little tip about the train ride. Not sure if your little one likes trains or not, but if you get to the park early enough....you can sign up for a ride with the conductor!! Be prepared for a mess, though.....my son had black in his hair and on his clothes. Didn't bother him a bit!!!

OH! OH! OH!!!

Dh and I were there in the 90's 3x... each time we'd pitch a tent in the Smokies for two weeks, and then we'd head down the mountain to Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg on days that we weren't hiking or if the weather was nasty. Like Out2Lunch posted, it's a great place for all ages. So much to do - they have fun rides (nothing crazy like Six Flags), stage shows, demonstrations and the food is to die for! Oh, and then there's Dolly's area where you can view her old outfits she wore back on the Opry stage with Porter Wagoner. And the train tour was the best part, especially when it stopped in the back of the park and had a lil' show.

And don't forget to reserve tix for din-din at the Dixie Stampede.

If you're a true Dolly fan, take a drive to Sevierville and get your photo snapped at her statue in front of their court house.

Hi i live 5 mins from dollywood......lol.... There are tons of things to do in sevier county....The smokey mtns are here ...so that hikeing camping..ect..gatlinburg is a full swing tourist town...right now colors are at a peek so rooms and cabins are expencive....Pigeon Forge has go cart and arcads...tons of food and shows....what are you looking to do?..shows like the dixie stamped?..Or magic...we do have it all...lol..we have tons and tons of things to do...If you want everyone post what you want to do and where you want to eat...i will let you know if it s any good.....Food....a few good ones are Mother hubberts in PF...my hubbie works at the parkway pancake house in PF ..there clean and yummy...just let me know...

It's funny to think about people not knowing about Dollywood because I live close too - about 45 minutes away. The park itself is very family friendly - there's a whole area just for younger children and then lots of "thrill" rides for the older ones. The water rides are great if you come during the heat (which anymore seems to be year round!) They also have a water park attached to it (Splash Country) and you can get discounts for buying tickets to both parks.

All that being said, there is PLENTY to do in and around Dollywood. It sits in the middle of Pigeon Forge which is a tourist's mecca. There's everything you can imagine from mini golf to TONS of outlet shopping and eating. Gatlinburg is about a 10 minute drive and it's pretty much a single street through the mountains jam packed with shopping and restaurants (Hard Rock Cafe and Bubba Gump's are two big ones that come to mind).

Tons of hotels throughout the area, discount coupons are everywhere (except none for Dollywood, sorry). Definitely things for all ages! The mountains are a big draw to the area if you're into camping, hiking, that sort of thing. Knoxville is about 45 minutes away and has the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame, Sunsphere, a decent zoo and lots of great places to eat and shop also. HTH!
    Last edited by adpandabearz; 10-12-2007 at 04:40 PM.

Smile

I'm sure you have already looked at the ticket prices on the website. That said, i would go ahead and buy the season pass, which is less the buying 2 separate tickets for individual days. There is enough to do for at least 2 days, if not 3. As soon as you pass through the ticket gates, look to your right. You will see a wooden stand with brochures with the times of the shows that are having performances that day. Then procede to where ever you would like. Food is very expensive inside Dollywood. For lunch/dinner, I would recommend Red's diner inside Dollywood. They have hamburgers, hot dogs, and chicken sandwichs and such. If you don't mind carrying them around, the refillable drink mugs can save lots of money. You can also bring the refillable drink mugs back the next day and use them again. I don't know if the "wet" rides will still be open this late in the year, but if they are, I would recommend keeping a change of clothes in the car, including socks and shoes. You can get drenched on some rides. Also if there is any chance of rain, I would buy some of the 99 cent clear rain ponchos from Walmart to have in the car in case. Dollywoods ponchos are between $5 and $8.

i went to dollywood about 13 years ago. i cant remember much except that i had a great time.

we went to many places in TN around there. but overall i prefer Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge. i love taking the chair lift into the Smokies. its really nice. if you look down while ur riding, you'll see tons of stuff people dropped...shoes, etc. lol and right before u reach the top, a camera goes off taking your pic. i had been on it many times but when i took BF, i told him that he had to kiss me when the pic got taken. it turned out GREAT!! lol

i love TN...theres so many things there!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast