Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a lot of flu going around where you are?

Is there a lot of flu going around where you are?

I have heard that bad places to get germs are:

• shopping cart handles
    • banks (pens that everyone uses)
    • carriers at the drive-in banks
    • opening any door to a store---or at a restaurant and then not washing your hands before diggin into those chips (or if you do go to wash your hands in the restroom-- turning off the water with your bare hand! Or touching the door to open it to leave....because some also touch that door to leave who haven't washed their hands after relieving themselves.
    • shaking hands (or hugging at church)
    • gas pump handle
    • any place you go up and get something out of a machine, like a Coca Cola or a stamp machine and have to push a button
    • using a tong to get a donut at the grocery store or convenience store
    • escalators or stairs (or any other) handrail
    • touching the "call" button and then the floor button on elevators

Can you add any?
    Last edited by girltalk; 02-24-2008 at 08:23 PM.

What I ALWAYS think about when it comes to germs/flu is the card swiper machines at the check outs...when you put in your pin# etc...did you ever notice how grimey those things are? When I was a retail mgr. part of the morning/evening cleaning routine was having the cashier clean their swipers---eeewww
    I also dont use the self serve stations at restaurants, the ketchup pumps, soda fountains etc

Oh yuk. I didn't think of those. But I cringe when a clerk looks sick and says she feels bad as she hands me my change.....I wonder how many others who "didn't feel good" have touched that money.

At a buffet. They say you should always dig towards the bottom of the food, not only for germ reasons but the food is hotter and safer.

The dirtest is ATM machines~~yuk! At our grocery store they have the cart wipes as you walk into the store~ I always use paper towels to open a public restroom door~Where I live its a quick drive to NJ for them to pump my gas! (Not allowed to pump your own gas)

I bring my own mags to doctors offices also ~ (I have OCD)

I never think about the magazines....but how about those magazines on an airplane? And does anyone know if they wash the pillows and blankets on a plane each time, after someone uses them?

The lady who cuts my hair always tells me stories about the "cheap" haircutting places where they reuse the scissors and combs....even though you think they are sterilizing them. And she said ditto on the tanning beds and nail salons--some of them do not properly disinfect and she had seen all kinds of oozed things on tanning beds. She doesn't get near a tanning bed herself and will not work in a shop that she feels is spreading germs that way.
    Last edited by girltalk; 02-26-2008 at 08:21 AM.

I know when I fly they always give me a blanket wrapped in plastic, but I have never seen a pillow wrapped so they might re-use them

you wouldnt believe how the flu is affecting people around here. i work in a hospital in the lab where rapidflu and rapidstrep tests are the most commonly ordered now. everyone ends up being positive with one or the other or both. my job requires us to get flu shots to protect ourselves because everyone we come in contact with seems to be sick. it's scary.

OMG, I cringe when I pump gas or have to go to the ATM or the drive up at the bank. I keep a big pump bottle of Purell in my truck and use it every time I have to touch something. Yes, I do get weird looks as I pump gas with one hand and hold my purell bottle with the other! Of course, though, I still managed to get sick, I guess that happens when you work around kids all day, we had 2 in our class last week that were so sick, they had no business being in school, but... you know how that goes. I wish parents would keep their sick kids home from school when they're sick!

The blankets, pillows, magazines and the table trays are all full of germs on the airplanes. With all the cutbacks they cannot afford to do a thorough cleaning between flights. Usually, Flight Attendants are left to pick up the big pieces of trash, etc that passengers leave behind.
    I bring my own magazines/book and a couple disfectant wipes when I fly.
    The flu has been real bad in our area and the schools are suffering from absenteeism due to it.
    Of course, all the other mentions in this thread make perfect sense. Just be wary of anything in a Public Place that would have been touched by others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast