Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do Not Buy Vanilla Visa / Green Dot Money Card!

Do Not Buy Vanilla Visa / Green Dot Money Card!

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT BUY A VANILLA VISA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You cannot reach a human being through their telephone number! They donít have an email address! NOT ACCEPTED AT ALL PLACES THAT ACCEPT NORMAL VISAS!!!

This is taken from their FAQ on Vanillavisa.com:

2. Where can I use my gift card?
    The Card is a prepaid stored value gift card that can be used anywhere in the United States where Visa debit cards are accepted, including mail order, online and point of sale retail merchants.

This is not true. I just tried to place an order on Bodyshop.com - they DO NOT ACCEPT VISA GIFT CARDS BECAUSE THE ADDRESS CANNOT BE CONFIRMED!!!!!!!!! Now my $93 balance is lost in space for up to a week.

Also, you have to keep track of the EXACT amount on these cards, because places wonít just deduct whatís on there. If the total is more than your balance it will be declined as you stand there embarrassed. I hate these and I will NEVER EVER EVER EVER buy one again. Also, online retailers usually only allow one credit card per order, and these donít come in amounts more than $100. If your order is $.02 over, tough. WHAT A HASSLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is ridiculous, DEFINITELY A SEMI-SCAM, and I hope this company is slowly put out of business. They should be sued!

Check out this site to see how many others have been scammed:

http://pomomusings.com/2006/09/23/al.../comment-53922

Interestingly enough, I went to dinner at a place called the Original Benjamin's (in Myrtle Beach, SC) today.. they have a sign POSTED that says "WE DO NOT ACCEPT VISA, MC, OR AMEX GIFT CARDS."

What is going on? Why aren't these accepted? This is ridiculous!!!

Question Comment on gift cards in general

I keep hearing that some gift cards have been used before you actually buy and "activate" them at the register. I was at a WalMart last week and one of their own would not ring up, and the manager said because it has already been used. I guess someone threw a used on the floor, and someone put it back on a shelf, or it was a scam? I tried to buy one early for Mother's Day. I got a new card, and it worked the first time. I had also heard that if a company goes bankrupt, or closes its doors, you cannot use its gift card. It will be void. Alot of stores in the malls around here are closing their doors. Malls seem like ghost towns. If you have a gift card, I suggest using it all up asap! Call it after you get it to be sure it is valid. I also hear alot that some people feel for gift cards inside greeting cards in the postal mail, and they open the cards up to steal the gift cards. What is this world coming to? I'd love to have a gift card to choose whatever I'd like! They used to give a gift certificate before the gift cards. I never see those around.

Original Benjamin's may find itself in trouble with Visa, MC, and American Express. I worked at American Express many years ago and they were militant about retailers accepting their cards without any extra rules or fees (even checking IDs was forbidden). I imagine that if it becomes widely known that some retailers are not accepting the gift cards, the issuers will enact penalties or even revoke a retailer's ability to accept the cards at all.

My sister gave me a Vanilla Visa for Christmas one year. I had no trouble with it at all. When it got down to the last few dollars, I used it by telling the clerk to split the tender with the exact amount coming off the Visa Vanilla gift card and the balance from cash.

Thumbs down

I used 3 of these on Monday for the same purchase, I had saved since Christmas. The first one went thru fine, the 2nd one was denied, saying it was a duplicate card of the first, which was impossible, one was for $50 & the other was for $25. So I gave the 3rd one to the clerk, it went thru fine, and I paid for the rest in cash, since the 2nd card was denied. I just checked my balance, and they actually took off the $25, but then credited it back, then taking a 25 cent fee! Stupid, stupid people!

We had this problem another time, and I called them from the store, and actually talked to someone, and it was corrected right away. I guess now you can't talk to anyone. Guess I'll have to tell mom not to buy them anymore for us, for gifts. GL all!

CONTACT INFORMATION:
    If you have questions regarding the Card, or need to report a lost or stolen Card, you may call InComm Customer Service for Gift Cards at:

1-800-571-1376

or write to:
    Visaģ Gift Card Customer Service
    P.O. Box 826
    Fortson, Georgia 31808
    Last edited by Godspoet; 04-03-2008 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mingan View Post
    Original Benjamin's may find itself in trouble with Visa, MC, and American Express. I worked at American Express many years ago and they were militant about retailers accepting their cards without any extra rules or fees (even checking IDs was forbidden). I imagine that if it becomes widely known that some retailers are not accepting the gift cards, the issuers will enact penalties or even revoke a retailer's ability to accept the cards at all.

If they don't take cc why would they be in trouble? When we had our business we did not accept these cards either

They do take credit cards but they are limiting the circumstances under which they will accept them (not accepting gift cards with the logos). Gift cards with the VISA/MC/AMEX logos are supposed to be accepted the same as any other VISA, MC, or AMEX.

They do take credit cards but they are limiting the circumstances under which they will accept them (not accepting gift cards with the logos). Gift cards with the VISA/MC/AMEX logos are supposed to be accepted the same as any other VISA, MC, or AMEX.
    This is true....you have to sign a credit card slip with the vanilla cards just as if you were paying with a cc. I signed for mine this week.

My sister gave me a Vanilla Visa for Christmas one year. I had no trouble with it at all. When it got down to the last few dollars, I used it by telling the clerk to split the tender with the exact amount coming off the Visa Vanilla gift card and the balance from cash.
    when i worked at marshall field's the christmas of '85, american express was the one company we absolutely had to check id's on and if say a wife came in with her husband's card, we were not allowed to use it

did you work there around that time?

rules change so often, it's hard for folks to keep up!

We had almost the same problem with the Walgreens Green Dot cards (I forget if it's MC or Visa.) After my husband bought it as spending money for our son, who was home from college over Christmas, he couldn't get it to activate. He must have spent a week trying to get through to someone, and when he did they were completely rude and not at all helpful. My husband is typically very polite with "phone people" but he really got upset at this company. After the threat of a complaint to the Attorney General's office and the BBB, they finally agreed to refund his $100 to the credit card he used to pay for it which was really his Debit card Visa (so it was like paying cash,) MINUS a $20 service fee...he about blew a gasket. Lets just say it took him over a month, but he got every penny of that $100 back. GREEN DOT...stay away from it too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast