Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT-Question about target meat

OT-Question about target meat

Ive never shepped at target before and I bought some ground beef .I just thawed it and went to make spegetty but when I opened the package it really smelled like sulfer or strong egg smell kinda stinky but not like rotten hamburger should smell . is this the way target meat smells its packaged like walmart meat in those boxes but im worried about making it can anyone help me figure this out- I would hate to waste a lb of 99% lean ground beef .
    I dont want to tie up the board with a stupid question so I will sit here at wait for a answer and than admin pleade delete this to make room thanks lor

I'd take it back. It's not worth the risk of getting sick. I've never heard of ground beef smelling like that unless it was bad.

I don't know how any of the other men/women on here feel about it but I find when hamburger is in a plastic bag--(you know the round tube pounds in a plastic airtight casing) it stinks. A butcher I know once told me that it smells from the plastic. Maybe that's what it's from if it was in a plastic tube wrapper. I don't know if I would chance it though. You said it was in a box like Walmarts but is it wrapped in a plastic bag? I've never shopped at Walmart or Target for meats. We don't have a Super Walmart around here.

take it back it is bad, even being in plastic it should never smell like that, I have purchesed many tubes of hamburger and they have never smell like anything but burger. dont risk it.

I'd also take it back if it didn't smell right.

But if you're talking about the deep stryo box type of packaging, where the plastic is flat across the top but not touching the meat - I don't like that, whatever they do, pump gases in or something, the meat always smells weird to me. I only buy it on the flat styro tray with the plastic wrap on the meat.

If it smells bad enough that you're asking the question, then the beef has probably gone bad. I don't know about you, but although I hate the idea of wasting the meat, I hate the idea of having food poisoning that it could take a week to recover from more.

The only possible OTHER reason I can think of for meat to smell sulfurous is if it's irradiated (ironically, to help combat spoilage). If the meat has been irradiated, then there should be some indication of that on the packaging. Sulfur smells are a by-product of the irradiation process. But if you don't know for sure that it's been irradiated, then I'd be inclined to believe that the meat is spoiled. Personally, I'd rather throw it away than risk getting sick or getting my family sick.

Quote Originally Posted by katland View Post
    I'd also take it back if it didn't smell right.

But if you're talking about the deep stryo box type of packaging, where the plastic is flat across the top but not touching the meat - I don't like that, whatever they do, pump gases in or something, the meat always smells weird to me. I only buy it on the flat styro tray with the plastic wrap on the meat.
    This is it the kind of box you are talking about , The reason Im asking such a stupid question is that I have asked a few people who cook a lot and they said that bad ground beef does not smell like sulfer and that it might be a preservative. I guess there is sulfer in the water here is florida and my hamburger smells just like St augustine when the sprinklers come on lol

Quote Originally Posted by Gooddealie View Post
    If it smells bad enough that you're asking the question, then the beef has probably gone bad. I don't know about you, but although I hate the idea of wasting the meat, I hate the idea of having food poisoning that it could take a week to recover from more.

The only possible OTHER reason I can think of for meat to smell sulfurous is if it's irradiated (ironically, to help combat spoilage). If the meat has been irradiated, then there should be some indication of that on the packaging. Sulfur smells are a by-product of the irradiation process. But if you don't know for sure that it's been irradiated, then I'd be inclined to believe that the meat is spoiled. Personally, I'd rather throw it away than risk getting sick or getting my family sick.
    Wow I did not know that thanks It might be Im going to wait till my DH getts home and have him smell it . but it has started to smell less since I opened the package .Went I first opened it I was like WOW rotton eggs ! Now not so much , more like a hint of eggs . Im really thankfull for all your help - I was so happy to have a super target move in but if this hamburger is bad the DH will never take me back there again .

Quote Originally Posted by Gooddealie View Post
    If the meat has been irradiated, then there should be some indication of that on the packaging.
    I thought the meat industry fought tooth and nail to prevent any such labeling, just like the dairy industry supposedly isn't allowed to advertise that their milk is hormone free?

But the type of packaging I described, I know something had been done to the meat, I didn't remember what, so perhaps it is radiation. I know for sure that that type of packaged meat has a much longer "sell by" date.

cindylaloca

Take it back and ask for a refund. I have never heard of meat that is not bad smelling like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast