Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Free Cell Phone if you qualify (Federal assistance)

Free Cell Phone if you qualify (Federal assistance)

You may qualify if…You already participate in other State or Federal assistance program such as Federal Public Housing Assistance, Food Stamps and Medicaid. OR Your total household income is at our below 135% of the poverty guidelines set by your State and/or the Federal Government. AND No one in your household currently receives Lifeline Service through another phone carrier. -it’s currently valid in parts of TN, but coming soon to AL, NH, CT, NY, DE, NC, DC, PA, GA, VA, and MA.
    https://www.safelinkwireless.com/Enr...blic/home.aspx

Great post!
    Thank you.
    This will hwlp so many people.

Great - more of my tax dollars spent! What's next - maybe I could pay for some other people's cable tv, or internet connections. Perhaps I will just quit my job, stay home with my kid, and get everyone else to pay for all of my bills too!

Angry

I'm sorry ... I can understand a program like this for the elderly only... but I have a problem with the fact that I work my butt off everyday and pay taxes so that others can enjoy a LUXURY like a cell phone when I can't afford one for myself!! Since when did a cell phone become a such a necessity that our tax dollars are paying for this?? Outrageous !!

Thank you so much. I can't wait until this comes to NC this would help me out so much!

This is beneficial not only for the ederly with limited income but also for disabled citizens who are on SSD/SSI and can't afford a cell phone. These folks still need to be out and about, doing their grocery shopping, going to medical appointments, etc. In the event of an emergency, pay phones are few and far between. If qualified, a customer would receive approximately 60 minutes of free air time per month depending on their state. If they don't use all of their minutes, they will roll-over. Also, they have the option of purchasing additional minutes.

Becoming disabled can happen to anyone, old or young. Unfortunately, most people who work all their lives, pay taxes and contribute to SS don't have disability insurance. If they become disabled, in the blink of an eye, their income can go from comfortable to poverty level.

I think this is wonderful. I wouldn't begrudge anyone in need an hour of air time per month. There but for the grace of God...

Thanks OP!!

a free cell phone?????...i lost my job..canceled MY cell phone..newspaper...netflex...and eat pasta till it comes out of my ears so i can pay the bills and now people can get this luxury item free.....this stuff pisses me off...sorry for my rant

geez people who are disabled could really use this. Think of someone not able to get around and they fall. If they have a cell phone they could call for help. Or they have car trouble and can't walk for help if they had a cell phone they can call for help. I'm not sure why people are so ugly about the disadvantaged getting subsidized cell phones. Folks who are not able to get around good need these more than most people.

Thank you for the post op ! very good information.

Amen to the last two posts on the cell phone subject. Those who want to begrudge or deny the ability of disabled, handicapped, or just financially challenged people in general need to stop and think about it. It could be you one day that might have this need yourself and would you want to be denied the access to call for EMS, fire department, police or someone to help you if you needed help? No we don't live in a perfect world that's for sure, but to deny folks in need of something as simple as a phone call that might save a life is being petty and selfish in my opinion. Sometimes it helps to just stop and consider how it might be to be in need yourself. Remember,you should never judge another human being until you have actually walked in that persons shoes yourself.

Well I'm not in favor of giving it to someone just because they are on food stamps if they are ablebody,but I'm thrlled if someone who is disabled or elderly needs this service ! I have a relative who has a handicap and cant hold down a job. This will be great for her ! I hope there doesn't turn out to be a catch to this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast