Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest place to buy yarn for knitting gifts??

Cheapest place to buy yarn for knitting gifts??

I am so broke this year, and have cut up the credit cards. I've let most of the family, except the grandkids and my own youngest, know that I'll be crocheting scarves for gifts this year. They actually are kind of thrilled, probably because I'm the only one who can crochet in the family. Now I need to know where it the cheapest place to buy the yarn, JoAnns, Michael's?? I need your expertise on this, thanks guys, peace, Susan

I believe either of those places will have very cheap yarn....

Quote Originally Posted by suzijo View Post
    I am so broke this year, and have cut up the credit cards. I've let most of the family, except the grandkids and my own youngest, know that I'll be crocheting scarves for gifts this year. They actually are kind of thrilled, probably because I'm the only one who can crochet in the family. Now I need to know where it the cheapest place to buy the yarn, JoAnns, Michael's?? I need your expertise on this, thanks guys, peace, Susan
    Do you have an AC moore near by?

They usually carry yarn in packs of 3-5 scans. I know they had packs of it when I worked their they'd sell for 5.00. I'd try there.Joann's is a little pricer IMO. Remember they all use competitor's coupons.That will help some too.

Both Michael's and Joann's frequently have sales and coupons.

Your best bet would be to try your local Free Cycle http://www.freecycle.com as people often offer free craft stuff there.

Mill ends are a good deal in case you have any outlet stores in your area. Our local Pat Catan's craft store frequently has them for $3 per POUND!

Smiley's Yarns, http://www.smileysyarns.com has GREAT prices BUT there is a minimum $50 order, so unless you can go in with another person to get up to the minimum it may not be for you. They have a store in Manhattan if you live in that area.

Good luck from one crocheter to another. I'm presently on a marathon to make scarves (10), hats (5) and an afghan before Christmas.

By the way, a great site for free crochet patterns is http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory.php
    Last edited by Broke in Pgh; 11-24-2008 at 02:32 PM.

AC Moore & Michaels may have coupons on their newspaper inserts, maybe a % off your total? I saw them in yesterday's paper, but didn't pay attention, and I didn't bring the paper home with me. Try signing up for their e-mails, maybe they'll send a % off coupon.

I occasionally see yarn in the dollar store, but not a name brand, so I'm not sure of the quality.

Walmart carries yarn, too.

If you can locate an independent store, you might get great deals on leftovers, where they only have a skein or two of a particular dye lot.

I've actually found some really nice yarn and such at the Dollar Tree. I forget the brand but I know the same ones sell at Wal-mart for like $4-$5 a skein. SO you may try looking there. Good Luck.

Smile

AC Moore and Michaels seem to have the best selection and prices. They often run specials of the Red Heart 6/7 oz skeins for $1.89/$1.99.

I was just at Michael's yesterday and they had yarn for 99 cents. It was in the back of the store in the sale stuff. They had nice colors. Walmart is usually cheaper than Michael's. Good luck!

a cheesehead living in flatlander country
    don't forget your local thrift shop. i donate a lot of my unused yarn to my local goodwill ...

good luck!

Smile

I knit alot and buy most of my yarn at knitpicks.com. They have GC and great yarn for a fraction of the cost of the higher end yarn.

HTH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast