Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Average Calorie Count for a Meal?

Average Calorie Count for a Meal?

I was discussing this with a friend last night and we were talking about how much we over eat. I was wondering if anyone had a rough guess as to what is an "average" calorie count for a meal? Ovbiously breakfast and lunch will be less than dinner unless your days are flip flopped but it has me curious and web searching isn't giving me more than the women on the crash diets saying to go no higher than 1400 a day period.

Anyone have a rough guess? I know body type will play a factor to but I just wanted a ball park figure out of curiosity. TY

WebMD has a fitness & calorie calculator - that supposedly helps you determine what your caloric intake should be to meet your weight goals.
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/food-fitness-planner

The government has a website with info http://www.mypyramid.gov/index.html

So much depends on current weight, exercise level, some people have better metabolisms (this might be due to age, I know I had trouble putting weight on until I was in maybe my 30's, I could eat anything).

Bottom line - if you keep track of what you're currently eating, you can figure out its calorie counts. And to gain weight you need to up that.

In general a balanced diet is best of course - hopefully your doctor / nutritionist gave you some advice about calories & dietary components - whether you need more protein, or more fruits & veggies for their vitamin & mineral content, etc. (Don't do too much fat-free unless recommended by your diet - many vitamins are fat soluble, so without fat in your diet you aren't able to absorb them properly.)

If you look at the nutrition labeling on the back of almost any package of food etc., it uses a standard of 2,000 calories per day. Women probably should have fewer calories than men, in general.

Good luck, and I hope you don't get too focused on calorie counting..... IMO it might be easier, and less stressful, for you to try to sneak in extra food without focusing on the calorie content - eating many small meals a day for instance, or being sure to have a healthy snack between meals.

If you go to www.sparkpeople.com you can find out how many calories you should have in a day and then it will give you ideas for meals that breaks it all down for you.

TY I was curious as WebMD has an error on th site, my friend tried his and was told he needs 4900 a day and that isn't accurate ovbiously so I didn't want to trust it told me 1900 to "maintain". Sparks is a big time no no here being it's the place the women told me to keep it at 1200 to stay in the "best shape" possible. It seems like everywhere has something different, it seems the base number I'm finding for women is about 1940 but I was just wondering how head on that was.

Quote Originally Posted by poohgirl79 View Post
    TY I was curious as WebMD has an error on th site, my friend tried his and was told he needs 4900 a day
    Interesting..... Before I passed along the link I tested it myself, and given my stats (weight, height, pants size, age & current exercise level) it recommended about 1600 calories to maintain my weight - which I thought was reasonable. Out of curiosity I checked the sparks site, and while it gave a caloric range, it was consistent with what WebMD showed.

But, I still think a good quick way to figure it out is to determine how many calories you're consuming now, and up that number. And of course - do it with the blessing of your doctor / nutritionist.

Thanks for checking it out, I'll have to ask him what he did wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by poohgirl79 View Post
    the women told me to keep it at 1200 to stay in the "best shape" possible.
    I've heard good things about that sparks site; I'm guessing you got that comment in a forum or chat area. Just wanted to say - good for you for not listening to advice that you knew was not in your best interest! I know from your prior postings that your weight issue is a struggle for you, and I'm glad you are looking for "good" info.

Yep and I think we had yet another epic fail this week, the Dr. modified the Thyroid stuff they had put me on, odd when they want me to gain weight and say it isn't working hard enough and it has kept the weight gain down to a very very little amount. Makes DH furious as he thinks I'm sabatoging it somehow and i'm not - all we seem to do is fight now it's getting sad when even the 6 year old notices it.

I know it must be hard. Don't think of it as failing. Last week, yesterday, whatever, is done. Just get up each day & do your best. That's all any of us can do.

Smile

Well said my dear, well said.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast