Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fraudulent charge on my account

Question Fraudulent charge on my account

I am just totally freaking out here. I put money into my checking account today to pay my house payment, went to check it tonight and see a fraudulent charge to my account in the amount of $403.00 ! It's from some place called ACH debit.
    Now in looking them up I see where people use them to pay bills, but let me be on the record here in saying I am 100% positive I did not sign up for this. I don't have any bills that amount, not even close, except my house payment which is much more. I do not sign up for anything online at all where I have to put my credit card information or banking information. I am a single mom, so I pay everything myself, and am in complete charge of all finances in this house.
    I don't know what to do. That will make my house payment bounce, and also, I can't afford $403.00 !!

You'll want to contact your bank asap tomorrow morning and tell them what happened. They should freeze that charge, and if it's fraudulent the most you ever end up on the hook for is $50 or so, if you end up with being charged anything. See if you can get a copy of something stating that you have a fraudulent charge, call your mortgage company and see if they can help you in anyway. Perhaps let you roll that extra money onto next months payment, at which time you should have those funds reversed.

Unfortunately my mortgage company is not the helping kind.....but i'm stuck with them. I'll go by my bank first thing in the morning and report this to them. I just can't believe it, nothing like this has ever happened to me before.

Could it be tax related? If you had your tax refund deposited into that account , can they also debit it? Just a thought.

Hmm. I wonder if a bank rep could call them, fax information in regards to the charge investigation, if that would make a difference coming from the bank itself. But even if you had to just not pay that $400+, with how many foreclosures there are no mortgage company would do anything now for at least 3 months besides a late fee. My SIL went from Jan until now without making a payment. But if the check is going to bounce you'll definitely want to call them tomorrow also.
    Well, good luck. Hopefully the bank can find out how it happened. If it came thru a debit card they'll issue you new ones I'm sure. But if they had your actual account into, maybe the bank will issue you a new account to prevent any future problems.

ACH debit is a type of transaction. It's not a place, it's a financial network for processing payments, essentially.

Did you recently pay a bill for $403 using a check? Sometimes companies will process it electronically as an ACH (it just means automated clearing house).

Check to see if something you recently paid was in the amount of $403. The ACH debit would just indicate they processed it electronically.

Your bank should be able to tell you who took the money out. I would not panic until after you've spoken to your bank. There's a really good chance that it's legitimate, and if not, your bank should help you out.

Good luck!
    Last edited by SugarMag420; 07-30-2009 at 11:44 PM.

We had someone take out almost $1000 of our account last year. We started getting overdraft letters so I went online to check out what was going on and that is when I found 2 transactions to the same person. I called the phone number they used and just got an answering machine. I left a very hateful message but nothing, of course. We went to the bank the next day and was told not to worry since it thru the debit card which is 100% secure of fraud charges. We had to call the 800 number and report it to them. They had the money credited back to our account within 24 hours plus all of the overdraft charges. The bank sent a form to sign stating that we did not authorize the charges. And that was it! We got a letter stating that they did decide it was a fraud and therefore the credit back to our account was permanent. If they had found out it wasn't a fraud they would have took the money back. They only check that had got returned was to the light company and all I had to do was take the letter from the bank and they credited all of their charges back to us. The bank also told us we were lucky it was thru the debit card because if it had been stolen checks then we would have to wait for the police to find the person and prosecute them. Just be sure to get your debit card changed if it was on the card. Good luck to you! I know how frustrating this is!

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMag420 View Post
    ACH debit is a type of transaction. It's not a place, it's a financial network for processing payments, essentially.

Did you recently pay a bill for $403 using a check? Sometimes companies will process it electronically as an ACH (it just means automated clearing house).

Check to see if something you recently paid was in the amount of $403. The ACH debit would just indicate they processed it electronically.

Your bank should be able to tell you who took the money out. I would not panic until after you've spoken to your bank. There's a really good chance that it's legitimate, and if not, your bank should help you out.

Good luck!
    This cannot be legitimate. You don't understand. I only use this account to pay bills. I don't have alot of bills, and I don't have any, nor have I had any for that amount. I promise . I do not use checks either, only my debit card. There is absolutely no way, I guarantee it, that this is legit. I am so strict on my money it's crazy. I can count on my one hand the amount of bills I paid using this account for the entire month of July, and none of them were that amount, or anywhere close.

I just checked the address the charge came from through this ACH and it is some building in New York for Non Profit organizations ?? I'll find out tomorrow. I cannot afford for anything to happen with my house payment..and I will not pay for a charge that I did not make. Thankfully , the people at my bank are pretty easy to deal with ( crossing my fingers here )

I just found this...

ACH, Banking Account Fraud Scheme

ProPay, Inc. has recently become aware of what appears to be a very large and widespread international fraud scheme involving unauthorized electronic checks (ACH). The scheme has affected millions of people including, unfortunately, a small number of individuals who may be or have been ProPay account holders. To be clear, after internal and external analysis and investigation, ProPay is extremely confident that the stolen bank information came from other sources and not from ProPay.

ProPay has an ongoing effort to monitor our systems and we remain confident in our system security. ProPay's systems fully encrypt client sensitive information in storage as well as in transit. In addition, sensitive client information is masked when it is viewed internally or externally. ProPay is committed to protecting sensitive information and we will continue to adhere to industry best practice security standards. ProPay meets or exceeds the security requirements and data protection as defined by the major card brands (PCI DSS)—Visa®, MasterCard®, etc.

10 years ago ( yes 10) I used Propay as my way of accepting credit cards on my website. There would be absolutely no reason for a debit, as it was how I took credit cards, and it has been 10 years. I'm printing all of this out and taking it to my bank. Apparently I've been a victim of this. I'll let you all know..

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast