Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know about out of sate dog asoptions?

Anyone know about out of sate dog asoptions?

Its kind of soon but missing Lucy has us looking for a companion for Princess. She can not be replaced, one of a kind. I have been looking online and found a cute Shi tzu from down south. Not sure if another female is a good choice. Lucy was laid back, got along with everyone but not sure about Princess. The vet had told me way back when that sometimes a companion of the opposite sex works best. Not sure if its the alpha dog thing or what. I did call an animal control person yesterday that graduated high school with my son. She has nothing to meet our criteria at this time. I want a dog that is 5 years or older, no more than 20 lbs and prefer a no shed breed. Poodle, shi tzu or others. I am apprehensive about getting a dog out of state. Anyone have any experience doing so?'

I do not have any answers for you or advice. But I did want to suggest checking any of your area shelters first for a possible new addition to your family.

The woman I spoke with that graduated high school with my son is doing that for us. She said she will contact all the shelters and let me know what is available. She had two shi tzus, one was 9 and one is 11. I keep thinking about them but dh isn't with me on them yet. He is concerned about getting older dogs and losing them after getting attached to them. I can understand that, he was devastated losing Lucy. We both miss her as does Princess. All our dogs have been rescues in one way or the other. I figure the right one will come along just as the others did. Thanks for the input flossie, I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grams12 View Post
    Its kind of soon but missing Lucy has us looking for a companion for Princess. She can not be replaced, one of a kind. I have been looking online and found a cute Shi tzu from down south. Not sure if another female is a good choice. Lucy was laid back, got along with everyone but not sure about Princess. The vet had told me way back when that sometimes a companion of the opposite sex works best. Not sure if its the alpha dog thing or what. I did call an animal control person yesterday that graduated high school with my son. She has nothing to meet our criteria at this time. I want a dog that is 5 years or older, no more than 20 lbs and prefer a no shed breed. Poodle, shi tzu or others. I am apprehensive about getting a dog out of state. Anyone have any experience doing so?'

Don't have experience obtaining a dog out of state but we did get our maine coons last October from a breeder in Colorado. In general though I prefer adopting pets that need a home and are close to being euthanized if they're at the humane society too long. Some of these animals make the best loving pets and are extremely loyal.

I'm sorry about Lucy, Grams

I've never even considered adopting an animal I didn't see in person. I need to see the temperament, etc

I know people who've bought pets online, some worked out well, others not so much

Have you tried www.petfinders.com ?
    You can search on what's most important to you (gender, age, breed, size, proximity to you, etc)

Good luck finding the right one

Grams have you tried http://www.rescueme.org/ ?
    You can search by breed and location.

Thank you Sheri. We found a pup in a rescue group down south and if all goes well she will arrive here on Saturday. They rehome dogs from kill shelters. They have a liason volunteer group locally and the vet knows one of the women who started this. The other woman was originally from VT. They checked us out thoroughly which pleased me to know they just do not give the dogs to anyone who wants one without knowing more about them. Our new addition is 5ish years old, female, about 17 lbs, shi tzu and appears to have been loved. The woman who surrendered the dog had children and was going in to a rehab and could not longer afford to keep the dog. Heartbreaking for the kids I am sure. Our dog Princess came from a shelter also and her owner who was also a woman went to prison. We think she had been abused but she is a happy and more secure dog now after 4 years of being with us. It took time to gain her confidence and every now and then we have to reassure her all is well. Hopeful the girls will become pals, but just being companions would be fine too.

Thanks again for the info.

I'm happy you found a dog you feel is right for you. Hopefully everyone will settle in just fine.

So happy for both you and the dog, Grams.

These pets often make the most loving and loyal companions.

The new addition to the family arrived last night. A transport that is top notch brought her from GA. The people in the rescue group locally are all volunteers. Met them from different areas of the state, one taking pictures, the others doing paperwork, and another giving out treats to the dogs. My daughter ended up going with me to pick her up. My dh got the awful bug from heck and was not able to go. It all went very smoothly, the transport was heading to Maine with other dogs. They save them from kill shelters down south. So our sweet girl is fitting in nicely. She had a very long ride and coming to a new home and she is doing well. I did get up early to check on her and she was fine. Did not crate her, just let her find her spot which seems to be the couch right now. Princess nose is a bit out of joint but getting better. Giving her lots of attention. My dh already loves Payton. He was so disappointed he could not go with me to pick her up. We were going to take Princess but left her home since dh was home. It was much easier that way.They told us to bring Princess outside to meet Payton which we did in the back yard and it went very smoothly. They said if you bring a dog into the others dogs home it might not go well. Now they will decide who the alpha dog is. Its up for grabs right now. Payton the new pooch already met Tater through the fence, she is a labradoodle about a year old that the new neighbors own. Very big and very playful. They actually played through the fence, lol. So hopeful it continues to be a peaceful transition. Still think of Lucy everyday, and miss her, I think Payton will help us heal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast