Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 3.1.17 March Madness Dinner Thread

Sorry about the tree issues, Grams - and your cars before that. We understand your pain there. Sigh...

I don't personally feel people don't post because they have felt offended, I know I don't post much because I am really busy. And yes, we eat every night, lol! You know not eating wouldn't fly with my husband, ha! ha!

I did join the Facebook under another name and under duress. I only visit with my loved ones, so it's not impersonal. Not my favorite medium, but have to keep up with the times - so says the woman who cooks from scratch, does not have a dishwasher, microwave or cell phone.

Sending love to all -

W.

PS - Homemade elk chili for dinner. I made a big batch last week, froze some, shared some and we are just in the mood for chili.

Hi Wendy, happy to see you posting. I know you are busy, miss hearing about all your pets and your family. Seems like we have a whole lot going on here.

So the owner of the tree cutting service came flying down the road with an insurance certificate. They they proceed to park the bucket truck and another big piece of equipment in the neighbors driveway without the neighbors permission. They are only there on weekends usually but the fact they assumed they could do this did not sit well with me. I told dh to tell them that we did not condone them putting their equipment there without the owners permission. That made them mad. Then they wanted to put the chipper in our front yard where our engineered septic tank field is. Dh said NO NO NO, you can park it in the driveway but you are not to bring it on the grass. The owner of the company then said, well we are out of here. They cleaned up and left. He was told when he gave us a price that no equipment was to go on that side of the yard. Unbelievable. So we have a few missing branches on the first big pine and thats it, lol. I have never dealt with anyone like this. In years past we have had a few trees removed due to safety reasons mostly and never encountered anything like this. Always were given an insurance certificiate for liability coverage prior to them starting work. As an ending to the day, Spectrum who was formerly Charter is messing up dhs email again, arghhhhhhhh. Why cant they leave well enough alone?

Happy to see you posting though Wendy.

I'm not sure how much more clear your husband could have been. Ugghh......

Thanks Grams. We are happy but tend to feel behind in so many ways.

Today, Jonathan finished pruning the last tree in the orchard. You might not have heard this, but he had a bad reaction, lactic acidosis a couple months ago and I just about carried him to the hospital - he refused of course, kicking and screaming! You know how stubborn he is. We just worked with this day and night, I researched things, consulted with our son-in-law, a nurse, and JS is in a much better place. Have to thank Kathy, Jeanie and Debbie - even Frank helped truly all he could - such awesome friends! They were all there with love and prayers.

My favorite uncle is fighting cancer and we try to encourage him, will send a little care package tomorrow. My Uncle Tom is the best! My mom is really sick, has no broth, seltzer, crackers, soup and such. I am going crazy! I live 4 hours from her and my siblings that live local are sweet and when I messaged them, will help. It's beyond lovely that Omar, who doesn't even have a car was the first to want to help. Am sending my mom a care package and my other brother will be there this afternoon and my sister tomorrow. Mom has a weak heart, lives alone since Dad died and I worry so much about her. I try to make food for her, know she does not eat as best she could.

Here's our menu for the last week. Sorry I don't post that much. Does not mean we don't care. xoxox

Thursday - Made some chili, well a lot of chili. Brought a Crock Pot full of it to the post office for their workers to enjoy for lunch on Friday. Also sent some cornbread muffins, shredded cheese and crackers.

Friday - Had hot dogs (no buns) smothered with chili for lunch. Reserved some chili for Saturday and froze the rest for later. For dinner we had homemade Kosydar Polish sausage cooked with cabbage, shallot and green peas.

Saturday - Hot dogs and chili for lunch again and again, no buns, but we did have some shredded cheese - yum! Dinner was broiled salmon filets with herbs and lemon olive oil, green beans from our garden last year and a Japanese cucumber salad.

Sunday - Kept it simple and yummy - steamed some homemade Kosydar Polish sausage, shallot, baby carrots and cabbage for dinner. Used a little butter and celery seed on the veggies and it was delicious!

Monday - I made JS some sausage stuffed mini peppers for his lunch, it was a later lunch since it was such a busy day for him doing errands and also me at home. He loved them. Dinner was an omelette. I sauteed up some mushroom, shallot, a little green onion, tomato, baby shrimp and then some spinach at the last minute. Put that and some cheese inside and topped with diced avocado and some hot sauce. Mmmmmmm....

Tuesday - We got some thin pork chops on sale, so I tenderized them, marinated them a bit with balsamic vinegar and herbs. It wasn't raining, so JS grilled them outside, which was nice. I roasted a little red potato for me, some sweet potato for JS and we had small spinach side salads.

Wednesday - Thought I'd try my hand at homemade Egg Fu Young, as the chickies are laying pretty well these days. I plan to use a little leftover pork, green onion, shredded cabbage, peas and mushrooms and make the traditional gravy. Hope it's good. If not, we can always laugh about it later.

Tonight - thawed and will warm some homemade chili. Yum!

Thanks for posting your menu Wendy, I am so glad that you eat. You always ate healthy and you took such good care of your husband. We had a rough month here too. Dh got some kind of flu bug or something and it was one thing and then the next. Fluid on the knee, think he might have had a touch of gout if there is any such thing, it went as fast as it came, cough chills you name it, he had it. He did go to a couple of doctors and there are times I find them totally useless. My oldest gd miscarried so its been a very sad time here since we found out. They would be wonderful parents. Will be married 10 years in August, she is a pediatric nurse and he is a teacher. The obviously love kids, makes you wonder why they are having problems having their own? t Try not to get in that mode of thinking but it is difficult not to. Happy to report that my son is recovering. He is taking care of himself once again and working and being responsible. He went through a 6 week treatment for alcoholism and not too long ago he sent me a card that said "thanks mom for saving my life".. He thought I was pretty mean making him go to Detox and then making him stay in treatment but now he is grateful as am I and all the family. Has 4 beautiful daughters and an ex wife who stepped up to the plate and drove him to Detox. She is a gem, they are best friends now and I hope in time they may be a twosome once again.. She has him to all the family holiday get togethers and they are always there for each other but I am staying out of it and just letting them work things out for themselves. Lots of stuff always happening in the family unit. Moving, new jobs and stuff. Never a dull moment. So the past year was difficult in more than one way but we got through it. Losing our Lucy dog was awful, she was just shy of turning 14. We got Princess a sister named Payton. She is a southern girl and we got her from a rescue. She came to CT on a transport the end of January. I am amazed at the hearts of those who rescue dogs and transport them for such reasonable fees. Well that is the end of my short story for now. Hope all is well with your kids, and grandkids. Glad your hubby is well again and very sorry to hear about your mom.

Thank you my friend. I am so sad to hear about your granddaughter and husband losing a precious child. I understand and am so sorry...

I have heard that cherries/pure cherry juice are good for gout. Just passing that along. So sad your husband has issues. From what you say, he sounds like such a good, dear man. Will say a prayer for him. I love to think of him shopping for you guys, being so bargain oriented, etc. Glad YDF rubbed off on him, ha! ha!

I think Mom isn't taking this as seriously as she could. She thinks it's just a "thing" but at her age and with other health issues, we cannot be too careful. She teases me, but so what.

Not sure if I told you, but we got an elk. We are allowed one on a landowner's tag every year and we do share with my mom, friends on hard times, etc. If we do not NEED an elk every year, we do it every other year. Always makes me cry, seeing this gorgeous animal, have to pet it, love it, thank it and then help Jonny gut, skin and butcher it. Makes you not take a thing for granted though, tell you what. I do like that Jonathan is such a good shot, the sweet thing falls within a second. Hate to take any life, but we appreciate the lovely meat and share as we can.

Love to you and all my other friends here - W.

PS- Great news also about your son. Sometimes we go through a valley and then can find the light. Will pray for him to continue on a good path.

I just don't have the time to post as often as I used to. But I do read everything.

Our dinner are usually quick - we do a lot of soups and wraps and veggie/quinoa bowls - pretty much anything that can be prepared ahead of time and then thrown together quickly. Once or twice a week we go out or get delivery. Tonight we went to Ruby Tuesday and had their salad bar. They have a lot of great ingredients and we love it. Plus I had a $5 off coupon.

Grams, I'm on facebook, too. But it is more a means to communicate with a couple of friends and family through private messaging (which I look at as email) since most of them have cell phones and get the messages pretty quickly. I think I have 20 "friends" on there, ha ha. But even just that few, I'd never get off there if there were any more! Someone's always sharing something.

So the tree guys. They weren't paid already, I hope... Boogers. Maybe after they cool their jets they will come to their senses and try to make it right.
    Did your dh get the flu shot? My mother was sick and in the dumps for quite some time after, still has lingering "not right" feeling yet. It seems like the people who get the shots are often the ones that become sick, which I'm sure isn't true. Just seems that way.

I've got a dry rubbed pork roast thawing that'll get popped in the oven later today and roasted low and slow. Probably will also roast a pkg of asparagus we got at Aldi (for about $1.29!) and make a big salad with romaine/spinach/tomato/scallions/diced egg.

Yes flossie, dh did get the flu shot and I did wonder about that. I never get one no matter who tries to encourage me to. The good thing is we did not give a deposit to the tree guy, he did not ask for one but I did ask for a liability insurance certificate and dh did tell him no heavy objects on the leeching field. Its an engineered system since our lot is small and we have adhered to the instructions give us for all the years we have had it. Along with those things bothering me what really upset me was the fact they thought they could park in the neighbors driveway and cut the tree with the boon up in the air WITHOUT asking or the neighbor giving them permission to do so. I would be furious if anyone did that on my property. These are new neighbors and mostly here weekends only but that does not matter, they stop by often during the week too. They have a new fence across the front and also a brand new engineered septic system. Accidents happen no matter how careful they are and not sure who would be liable if damage were done to their property. I find it unbelievable they would just assume it was ok. Hope your mom feels better now.

We will have shepards pie again tonight. I love it when we can have leftovers. I am an unmotivated cook lately, well its been awhile now, lol. Dessert is the usual, cookies or ice cream or both for dh.

Stouffers and me made creamed chipped beef on toast for dinner tonight for dh. Same salad thing for me, it does differ, not always the same so keeps it interesting.

Ice cream for me probably and maybe for dh too. Or cookies, no other goodies around.

We are released from our contract with the tree guy so tomorrow we will make some calls once again. I called an attorney in town Friday to see what we should do and he advised me. No charge but I am going to offer to pay him anyways. I want to be able to call again if need be.

I'm glad it's shaking out well for you, Grams!

Roasted chicken with a whole lot of garlic cloves (using up my dad's garden haul that's been sprouting) that I will make a quick gravy with and a pan of jasmine rice that I simmered with the thick cream from the top of a can of coconut milk... yummmm... Not sure of veggie yet. Probably will nuke some peas.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123